Job Announcement: Director of Human ResourcesTuesday, February 26, 2019
EBCLC seeks a Director of Human Resources with the expertise to build out, define, and lead EBCLC’s HR efforts in support of a culturally diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. The Director is a relationship and capacity-builder with staff and provides strategic guidance to the Executive Management Team. This role brings with it an opportunity to define and expand how the organization can best support its employees, cultivating a collaborative work environment and an organizational culture where all staff can thrive. At EBCLC, our staff is our most valuable resource, and we are looking for a Director of HR who is excited about supporting the full potential of all employees.
Founded in 1988 by Berkeley Law students, the East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) is the largest non-profit provider of free legal services in Alameda County, serving more than 8,000 clients each year delivering client-centered, community-driven and culturally-responsive services and engaging in legislative and policy advocacy. We use legal and administrative strategies to mitigate the impact of inequitable and unjust systems on low-income individuals, families, and communities, while advocating for systemic change at the local and state level. EBCLC’s ability to address a wide range of substantive legal issues, including housing, health, immigration, consumer and court debt, community economic development, juvenile defense, school expulsion, and community reentry, enables us to build a more healthy, secure, productive, and hopeful community.
In addition to our legal advocacy work, EBCLC functions as a law school teaching hospital, serving as the community clinic for Berkeley Law and preparing over 150 law students every year to become skilled and principled advocates committed to finding innovative solutions to the causes and conditions of poverty.
Over our 30+ year history, we have grown to a staff of more than 70, organized in eight legal clinics within five broad program areas, with an $8 million annual budget, two office locations, and a deeply supportive and engaged Board of Directors.
As Director of Human Resources, you will:
- Set the vision for and ensure successful execution of a comprehensive HR strategy in alignment with EBCLC’s values
- Oversee implementation and continuous review of EBCLC’s goal to attract, engage and retain a high-quality, diverse workforce
- Serve as the most senior HR professional for a staff of 70+ and advise the Executive Management Team, managers, supervisors, and staff on personnel and organizational matters
- Oversee key aspects of the employment lifecycle including recruitment and hiring, compensation and benefits, performance management, employee wellness, and professional development
- Be the face and resource for HR compliance and best practices
- Build, manage, and develop a Human Resources team
- You are knowledgeable about HR policies and best practices. You have strong experience in many areas of HR and continuously expand and refresh your knowledge.
- You are both strategic and tactical. You are able to create the high-level vision for EBCLC’s HR strategy, as well as define and direct implementation.
- You are flexible and responsive. Change doesn’t intimidate you, and you thrive in evolving and developing environments.
- You are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. You believe these principles should be considered in every decision and are vital to the health of an organization. You are committed to implementing EDI best practices at EBCLC.
- You are a leader. You lead by example, inspire others to act, and empower those around you.
- You are an effective communicator.You tailor communication to meet the needs of various stakeholders and actively listen to those around you.
- You invest in people.You recognize that you are part of a whole. You learn from others, teach those around you, and truly care about the people you work with.
Nice to have:
- Experience working with unionized staff
It’s not expected that any single candidate will have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have interest and capabilities in others.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary for this exempt position is $85,000 – $115,000 based on number of years of prior relevant experience, as dictated by EBCLC’s salary scale. Compensation includes a generous benefits package.
Interested applicants should submit a detailed cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com (include “Human Resources Director” in the subject line) no later than Friday, March 22, 2019. All applications will be acknowledged. Please be aware we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and may schedule interviews before the application closing date.
EBCLC strongly encourages individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior contact with the criminal justice system, or any other basis prohibited by law.