Administrative Assistant/ReceptionistMonday, January 11, 2021
East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) is a non-profit legal services organization, the community-based clinical program for U.C. Berkeley Law School, and one of the Bay Area’s largest and most effective systems disrupters. With a dual service and teaching mission, EBCLC is a racial justice organization committed to building a culturally diverse workplace, centered on equity. With about 80 staff, 150 law students a year, and a nearly $9 million annual budget, EBCLC is the largest provider of free legal services in Alameda County, providing multimodal, collaborative, and holistic legal services to over 8,000 clients annually and engaging in legislative and policy advocacy at the state and local level.
EBCLC is seeking an exceptional individual to serve as an Administrative Assistant/Receptionist, who will provide initial client reception and ongoing administrative support to the organization. The position is an integral part of the Administration team, which includes the Director of Operations, 2 Office Managers, and 3 Administrative Assistants. Administrative Assistants are the first point of contact for clients seeking services, either by phone or in person, and must be committed to helping EBCLC operate in a barrier-free and client-centered manner. The Administrative Assistant is supervised by the Office Managers.
- Provide phone and in-person reception, assessing clients’ eligibility and legal issues, and directing them to appropriate internal services or external referrals
- Use case management software to enter client and legal issue information, following appropriate intake procedure and policies for EBCLC’s legal practice areas
- Work collaboratively with other administrative and program support staff
- Research, identify, update and circulate referral information for services outside the scope of those provided by EBCLC that respond to client inquiries and needs
- Assist with filing of practice area case and brief service files, with client satisfaction surveys, and with other administrative tasks associated with EBCLC’s legal services
- Assist with administrative tasks in support of EBCLC’s offices generally, including updating staff directories, circulating outreach and clinic schedules, and maintaining office and staff vacation calendars
- Provide meeting logistical support, including arranging conference calls, room reservations, catering, and vide conference set up
- Provide additional administrative support and other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Two years of administrative experience, including proficient to intermediate skills with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Fluency in Spanish
- Strong communication skills and capacity to respond to clients and co-workers in an empathetic and respectful way
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of people and groups
- Strong desire to support clients from underserved communities and a commitment to social justice
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate for this full-time non-exempt position is $21.98 – $32.97 based on the number of years of prior relevant experience, as dictated by EBCLC’s salary scale. Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees and their dependents, life and disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, and holidays); EBCLC also offers flexible spending accounts for qualified health, dependent care, and commute expenditures; and retirement options.
Professional development support includes membership in the relevant local, statewide and/or national associations, attendance at relevant conferences, as determined by EBCLC’s professional development policy and budget.
Due to COVID19, all EBCLC employees are working remotely. The Administrative Assistant and all EBCLC employees will continue to work remotely as long as California’s Shelter in Place remains in effect. The expectation is that the Administrative Assistant will work in our office in Berkeley, California when it is safe to do. EBCLC will provide the necessary equipment to fulfill the job responsibilities of working from home.
Working At EBCLC
EBCLC is strongly committed to advancing justice through education and advocacy, and the need to transform legal services and legal education. Please take time to review EBCLC’s mission, vision, programs, and website, and ensure that your cover letter reflects how your background, experience, and expertise have prepared you to be successful in performing the responsibilities of the position.
Additionally, EBCLC is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace centered on equity and providing an inclusive, welcoming, and culturally responsive environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. To achieve this goal, EBCLC works actively to improve our office climate, systems and structures, communications and community engagement to create an inclusive and respectful workplace where differences are acknowledged and valued. In your cover letter, please address how your personal background and experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural responsiveness and diversity amongst our staff.
We strongly encourage individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. EBCLC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior contact with the criminal legal system, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Interested applicants should submit application materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (include “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line) no later than Friday, January 22, 2021. Application materials should include a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for two professional references.