EBCLC’s Community Economic Justice Clinic (CEJ) is focused on advancing people-oriented economic development and empowering low-income communities of color to build long-term solutions to poverty in the East Bay. CEJ attorneys and advocates can provide the following types of assistance:
- Starting a business, cooperative, or non-profit
- Tax exemption applications
- Compliance with nonprofit, employment, and tax laws
- Drafting and reviewing of contracts, agreements, and loan documents
- Supporting alternative models of affordable housing (i.e. community land trusts, housing cooperatives)
- Community benefits advocacy
Want more information about Community Economic Justice Clinic? Click here!
COVID-19 Resources for small businesses, non-profits, and entrepreneurs
- Relief Fund – Apply by 4/6: https://www.cityofberkeley.info/covid19-business-grants/
- Relief Fund: https://www.workingsolutions.org/oakland-grants
State and Federal Resources: https://www.acsbdc.org/covid-19
For Commercial Renters:
Am I eligible for these services?
Free legal services are provided to:
- Individuals who reside in Alameda County / Community groups and businesses who are based in Alameda County
- Particularly from South Berkeley, Oakland, or Richmond (for worker-coops only)
- Are low-income people of color, and/or will serve and create opportunities for low-income communities of color
We prioritize long-time East Bay residents and service providers at risk of displacement.
* The East Bay Community Law Center provides free legal services to eligible East Bay clients. Specific service criteria vary by subject matter and change over time, so please contact the office with any specific questions.
** EBCLC cannot provide legal information or advice via email. Please contact us during regular intake hours to determine eligibility for services.
How do I receive these services?
Are you interested in our community economic development services? Email CEJ @ ebclc.org or call (510) 548-4040.
EBCLC resource on Navigating Your Commercial Lease during COVID-19
Referrals for other services