The Housing program works to defend tenants from evictions and enforce tenants’ rights. We provide free legal advice and representation on:
- Eviction/unlawful detainer cases
- Section 8/Housing Authority termination hearings
- Rent Board matters
- General tenants’ rights issues
- COVID-19 eviction moratoria
We also offer social work services to clients needing additional support.
How to Access our Services
Please call (510) 548-4040 and leave a message for the Housing team. Clearly state your full name, your phone number, your city of residence, and a brief description of your issue, including information about any notices you have received from your landlord. We will call you back within 48-72 hours to conduct an initial intake over the phone
Eligibility for Services
We will determine your eligibility for services after we have completed an intake assessment. In general, our services are available to tenants who:
- Live in Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville or the City of Alameda.
- Meet our income eligibility requirements
For information about other service providers who may be able to help with your issue, please see our Housing referrals page.