EBCLC’s Education, Defense & Justice for Youth (EDJY) program represents young people caught at the intersection of the juvenile justice and education systems. Education Defense & Justice for Youth attorneys and advocates can provide the following types of assistance in juvenile delinquency, school discipline, special education, and juvenile record sealing cases:
- Representation in juvenile delinquency court, at school expulsion proceedings (DHP), and an Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings.
- Consultation and advice on a variety of youth law issues (for example, questions about the juvenile justice system, bullying, record remedies, arrests, police misconduct, sealing juvenile records, and involuntary school transfers).
- Information and referral to other community organizations and legal service providers.
- Connecting clients to other legal services EBCLC provides, such as housing, immigration, and public benefits.
- Providing clients access to social work services at EBCLC.
- Conducting community outreach and education.
Want more information about Education Defense and Justice for Youth? Click here!
Am I eligible for these services?
Free legal services are provided to individuals who are youth residing in Alameda County
* The East Bay Community Law Center provides free legal services to eligible East Bay clients. Specific service criteria vary by subject matter and change over time, so please contact the office with any specific questions.
** EBCLC cannot provide legal information or advice via email. Please contact us during regular intake hours to determine eligibility for services.
How do I receive these services?
Anyone interested in our services should contact an EDJY Program Coordinator at (510) 548-4040. The advocate will conduct an initial intake over the phone and will assess the next course of action.
Click here for a self-help packet for Special Education. (En Español)
Click here for a self-help guide for Record Sealing.
Click here for California Record Sealing Toolkit.
Referrals for other services
Click here for a Resource to youth law workshops.