Criminal Records Services
The Clean Slate program works to remove barriers to employment and civic participation for people with criminal records. We provide free legal advice and representation on:
- Post-conviction remedies for people with criminal records (e.g. 1203.4 dismissals and felony reductions). Please note that we can only help with past convictions in Alameda county.
- Employment and occupational licensing issues due to criminal records
- Housing issues due to criminal records
- Reducing or eliminating the immigration effects of criminal arrests or convictions (in partnership with the Immigration program)
- Traffic and parking tickets
How to Access our Services
You can reach us in one of the following ways:
Clinic: To apply for help with criminal records remedies, please attend one of our walk-in clinics. Our walk-in clinics are held every Thursday 9AM – 11AM at the Alameda County Public Defender’s Office: 545 4th Street, Oakland, CA 94607. You don’t need to make an appointment.
Online: To apply online for help with criminal records remedies, use the Alameda County Public Defender’s Clean Slate website to complete an initial application. If this website is not accepting new applications when you visit, please attend a clinic or contact us by phone.
Phone: please call (510) 548-4040 and leave a message for the Clean Slate team. Clearly state your full name, your phone number, and a brief description of your issue.
Eligibility for Services
We will determine your eligibility for services after we have completed an intake assessment. In general, our services are available to people who:
- Have a past conviction or legal issue in Alameda county (Please note that we cannot help with convictions in other California counties or out of state).
- Meet our income eligibility requirements
For information about other service providers who may be able to help with your issue, please see our Clean Slate referrals page.