Attorneys and advocates may provide educational material, legal advice, and/or brief legal services in the following types of common issues:
- Defense from debt-collection activities, including lawsuits.
- Your rights and options for debt you cannot pay.
- Financial assessment to develop strategies for prioritizing and resolving debts.
- Wage garnishments, bank levies, and other creditor liens.
- Deceptive, unfair, illegal, and/or predatory consumer programs and practices.
- Student loans.
- Credit-reporting errors.
- Identity theft.
- Storage unit disputes.
- Tows and repossession.
How do I receive these services?
Please complete our online Consumer Justice Clinic Intake Form for information and appointment eligibility, or call us at (510) 548-4040 ext. 206.
Please note – the majority of our services are provided by law students and other advocates under the supervision of attorneys.
Llámenos al (510) 548-4040 ext. 206 entregue la forma de evaluación web para información y elegibilidad para citas.
Por favor nota – la mayoría de nuestros servicios son proporcionados por estudiantes de derecho y otros ayudantes bajo la supervisión de abogados.
Additional Information and Resources:
Free Credit Reports!
Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion are now offering free weekly online reports through April 2021 at: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
The Berkeley Center for Consumer Law & Economic Justice has published a special series on common consumer issues and COVID-19:
April 24, 2020
Issue III: Economic Impact Payments (“Stimulus Checks”) & COVID-19
April 28, 2020
Issue IV: Auto Insurance & COVID-19
May 1, 2020
Issue V: Scams and COVID-19
May 7, 2020
New Relief for Federal Student Loans:
- Loan payments are automatically suspended through September 30, 2020. The suspended payment months will still count towards Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
- Any wage garnishments, Social Security offsets, and tax refund seizures are suspended.
- All billing and automatic debits will be stopped on April 10, 2020.
For more information see:
For our Community Partners
Please feel free to share our flyers with your Alameda County Community.
You may find them here.