EBCLC’s Housing Program focuses on defending eviction lawsuits brought against low-income tenants. The program emphasizes defense of long term tenancies to preserve the value of rent controlled units. EBCLC also prioritizes subsidized tenancies such as those in Section 8 and conventional public housing programs, as well as on behalf of tenants with disabilities. Last, housing attorneys bring affirmative lawsuits to enforce state laws relating habitability standards, discrimination, and retaliation, as well as enforcement of local rent and eviction control ordinances. Housing attorneys and advocates can provide assistance on the following types of issues:
- Defense of Eviction/Unlawful Detainer cases
- Section 8/Housing Authority termination hearings
- Rent board hearings
- General counseling on tenants’ rights
- Assistance to individuals to represent themselves
- Public outreach/education trainings
- Representation in affirmative lawsuits against housing providers
Want more information about Housing? Click here!
Am I eligible for these services?
Free legal services are provided to individuals who:
- Reside in Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville, Alameda
- Are tenants
- Meet the listed income requirements below (same income requirements as the courts for fee waivers):
1 person household – $14,850 per year
|4 person household – $30,375 per year|
2 person household – $20,025 per year
|5 person household – $35,550 per year|
3 person household – $25,200 per year
|6 person household – $40,725 per year|
* The East Bay Community Law Center provides free legal services to eligible East Bay clients. Specific service criteria vary by subject matter and change over time, so please contact the office with any specific questions.
** In general, EBCLC serves individuals living at or below 125% of the federal poverty guidelines but the guidelines change every year.
*** EBCLC cannot provide legal information or advice via email. Please contact us during regular intake hours to determine eligibility for services.
How do I receive these services?
Are you interested in our housing services? Then you should contact our Housing Intake Specialist, Ms. Gracie Jones at 510-548-4040 ext 323. Ms. Jones will conduct an initial intake over the phone and will assess the next course of action.
If Ms. Jones is unavailable to take your call please leave a voicemail with your name, phone number, the city you live in and let her know about any notices you have received from your landlord or the courts. Ms. Jones will return your call within 24-48 hours.
Housing does not take drop-ins UNLESS the tenant has received a summons and complaint from the court, a sheriff’s notice or does not have a phone. Individuals who do not fit this criteria will be instructed to leave Ms. Jones a voicemail.
Referrals for other services
Please contact our front desk at (510) 548-4040 during business hours for a referral to other services.