EBCLC’s Housing Program focuses on defending eviction lawsuits brought against low-income tenants, as well as enforcement of local rent and eviction control ordinances. The program emphasizes defense of long-term tenancies to preserve the value of rent-controlled units. EBCLC also prioritizes subsidized tenancies such as those in Section 8 and conventional public housing programs, as well as on behalf of tenants with disabilities. Lastly, housing staff advocate at the local and state government level to bring about policy changes that strengthen and benefit tenant’s rights, such as the Alameda County eviction moratorium, the longest lasting moratorium of its kind in the country.
Housing attorneys and advocates can provide assistance on the following types of issues:
- Defense of Eviction/Unlawful Detainer cases
- Section 8/Housing Authority termination hearings
- Rent board hearings
- General counseling on tenants’ rights
- Assistance to individuals to represent themselves
- Public outreach/education trainings
- Rental Assistance program consultations and referrals
- COVID-19 Resources for Renters on Eviction & Eviction Moratoria
Want more information about Housing? Click here!
Please Note: The Housing practice cannot process inquiries via email.
If you have a housing issue or question please call (510) 548-4040 ext. 201 and leave a message with your Name, Phone Number, City, and a brief description of your problem or question
Am I eligible for these services?
Free legal services are provided to individuals who:
- Reside in Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville, Alameda
- Are tenants
- Meet our income requirements
* The East Bay Community Law Center provides free legal services to eligible East Bay clients. Specific service criteria vary by subject matter and change over time, so please contact the office with any specific questions.
** EBCLC cannot provide legal information or advice via email. Please contact us during regular intake hours to determine eligibility for services.
How do I receive these services?
Are you interested in our housing services? Please call 510-548-4040, ext. 201 and leave a brief message summarizing your housing issue (including any notices from your landlord or court), your city of residence, and your phone number. A member of the Housing Intake team will call you back within 48-72 hours to conduct an initial intake over the phone and will assess the next course of action.
EBCLC’s offices are currently closed to the public, and we do not take walk-ins at either location.
Our Tenants Rights Workshop is scheduled on a semester basis and is therefore temporarily closed between semesters due to limited staffing.
Referrals for other services
HOUSING LEGAL ASSISTANCE REFERRALS
- Centro Legal de la Raza: (510) 437-1554
- Bay Area Legal Aid: (510) 250-5270
- Eviction Defense Center: (510) 452-4521
- Family Violence Law Center: (510) 208-0220
- Legal Assistance for Seniors: (510) 832-3040
- Asian Pacific Islander Legal Outreach: (415) 567-6255
RENTAL ASSISTANCE REFERRALS
- Housing is Key – Oakland (ERAP)
- AC Housing Secure (Alameda County)
- Berkeley Housing Retention – Call Eviction Defense Center (510) 452-4541